The Berlin-based e-booking platform, cargo.one, will now also offer forwarders spot market booking options for airfreighting goods on TAP Portugal’s fleet. Both companies announced their commercial cooperation last Thursday (March 5th), jointly embracing new digital sales channels. The e-booking channel will be activated in Q2, once both companies have adjusted their systems.
Since its inauguration in 2017, when cargo.one inked its first agreement with Lufthansa Cargo, the e-booking portal has enjoyed a constant upswing of its business and customer base. However, this
upsurge was briefly interrupted last month after its UK-based client, CargoLogic Air, stopped operating, grounding its two remaining Boeing 747 freighters.
But the grief over the loss of the British main deck operator presumably did not last very long. It ended, at the latest, when cargo.one presented the Portuguese national carrier, TAP Cargo, as a its new partner last Thursday, and both companies inked a global sales cooperation.
“The agreement will support the rapid growth of TAP’s cargo business by introducing new digital capabilities such as online distribution and dynamic pricing. The partnership will also reinforce operational efficiency and day-to-day service quality of the airline,” their joint press release reads.
TAP enjoys strong cargo growth
For cargo.one, the TAP deal expands their intercontinental reach, offering forwarding agents additional options for booking capacity at spot market conditions mainly on TAP’s prime destination routes to South America and Africa.
Conversely, TAP Cargo can expect a further upswing of their cargo business, resulting from the digital booking options.
This is expressed by Miguel de Paiva Gomes, TAP’s Global Chief Cargo Officer: “cargo.one offers the most comprehensive service combined with the best user experience. By integrating with the experienced technology player, we will effectively extend our reach in key cargo markets and serve existing customers in the best possible way.”
Further to this, the manager points out that his carrier’s cargo business has grown by 17% over the past 12 months “and joining cargo.one is the next big step to continue our growth path”.
TAP Cargo strives to achieve “complete customer centricity”
Bernardo Nunes, Product and Services Senior Manager of TAP Air Cargo, emphasizes this particular aspect: In addition to widening TAP Cargo’s customer base by offering the airline’s capacity to cargo.one’s more than 400 partnering forwarding agents, the partnership will also provide the Portuguese airline with a faster channel to market for new cargo products. “The platform represents an excellent channel for effectively marketing products to freight forwarders with fast lead times, better exposure, and less complicated processing than with traditional channels.”
Mr Nunes went on to say that time to market is absolutely critical to his airline’s freight business: “Together with excellent access and unique user experience these are key attributes towards complete customer centricity.”
TAP is facing change of ownership
Moritz Claussen, MD of cargo.one praised the reputation, working climate and abilities shown by his new partner in daily business by saying: “At cargo.one, we strive to work with the most forward-thinking airlines around the globe. TAP Air Cargo has an outstanding team, that has shown foresight to embrace technology in order to drive growth and to put its customers first.”
As reported by CargoForwarder Global on 25 February, Lufthansa and United Airlines seem to be eager to acquire 45% of TAP’s capital, buying the shares held by investor Atlantic Gateway Consortium, with the remaining 55% divided into 5% for TAP employees and 50% for the Portuguese state.
We always welcome your comments to our articles. However, we can only publish them when the sender name is authentic.
Write a comment