China Postal Airlines Orders 17 Boeing Freighters

China Postal Airlines has placed an order with Boeing for 10 737-800 Boeing Converted Freighters (BCF) and seven B757-200s, which the airline plans to convert into freighters. It is the largest aircraft purchase in the airline's history.

Artist's impression of the B737-800BCF in China Postal Airlines livery
Artist's impression of the B737-800BCF in China Postal Airlines livery

The order for the 10 Boeing 737-800BCFs, like the earlier launch order for 15 aircraft of the same type by Hangzhou-based YTO Express, will be dependent on a decision by Boeing to launch the conversion programme. The 757-200s are rumoured to be acquired from China Southern Airlines, which has a fleet of 13 B757-200 passenger aircraft.

China’s express market has taken the pole position globally
China Southern is major shareholder (49%) in China Postal Airlines with the remaining majority stake of 51% belonging to the China Postal Bureau.
The China air express market is forecast to be among the fastest growing segments of the world air cargo market. According to the Boeing World Air Cargo Forecast, world air cargo traffic will grow 4.7 percent per year over the next 20 years, with domestic China and intra-Asia markets expanding 6.7 percent and 6.5 percent per year, respectively.
"With its express market growing at a double-digit rate fueled by e-commerce, China has surpassed the United States to become the number one e-commerce market in the world," said Ihssane Mounir, senior vice president, Northeast Asia Sales, Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

Nol van Fenema

Write a comment

Comments: 0